Why not spend some time in January making a Craftivist Footprint alone or in a group wherever you are in the world to start your 2014 as you mean to go on?
This footprint is on my bookshelf at home to remind me to stay on the right path
New Year is a natural time for reflection about the year ahead. We are connected to others and we have impact as a global citizen (daunting thought!) from what we buy, who we vote for, how we treat others etc. It’s easy to let life pass us by so why not craft yourself a physical footprint to help you remember what hopes you have for leaving a positive mark on this world?
We know that craft helps us slow down & reflect. A piece of craft can also be a useful physical symbol to keep yourself motivated to be the change you wish to see in the world.
I stitched a message on a footprint shape and framed it against some fabric I love. It says “The footprints you leave will influence others. There is no person who at some time, somewhere, somehow, does not lead another…”
It is placed where I see it when I walk down the stairs. A glance puts me in the right mindset to try and care for my global neighbour & make a positive difference.
You can get involved on your own or in a group anywhere in the world. We sell Craftivist Footprint Kits on our Etsy shop if you want to make one for yourself or encourage a group of your friends to make theirs together.
- How to make your Craftivist Footprint
You need our kit or:
1. Write your message directly onto your fabric footprint in your own handwriting. Stitch a relevant quote onto the footprint to remind you to try and make a positive difference in the world.
2. Cut your thread to be your arms length, approximately 60cm long and split the thread in half so you have 2 sets of 3 strands. Pick up your needle and stitch your message using a back stitch or split stitch.
3. Stitch the edges of your footprint with a blanket stitch (more machine sew the edges with a zigzag stitch) to stop from fraying
4. Put in a frame for you to put in your home to remind you of your journey & the impact you are making.
5. Please do share your final craftivism piece with us and your contacts on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook (etc!) using the #craftivists and @craftivists. We would love you to blog about your footprint on our website for our ‘My Craftivism’ series too if you are up for it.
You can Join in our projects and connect with me & the Craftivist Collective at www.craftivist-collective.com , buy our products on our Etsy shop (to help sustain our existence) & you can find more top tips on how to be an effective craftivist in our new book A Little Book of Craftivism.