For two days only the world’s greatest embroidery will be exhibited in London.
The London Embroidery Exhibition is a rare chance to see precious embroideries from around the globe, exquisite samples from Hand & Lock’s archive as well as some impressive haute couture embroidery from recent catwalks.
Organised to celebrate our 250th anniversary, the exhibition runs for two days only and has been produced with the assistance of expert curators from London College of Fashion. The exhibition will celebrate embroidery in British ceremonial practices as well as it’s ongoing use in fashion and the arts. This once in a lifetime unique exhibition takes place at the historic Bishopsgate Institute in the heart of the London’s east end, where the story of Hand & Lock began in 1767. The exhibit will celebrate our rich heritage as well as the skill of embroidery as a versatile craft and art-form with a long history.
Highlights at the exhibition include:
• Early 20th Century Embroidered Chinese lotus shoes on loan from the Textile Research Centre in the Netherlands.
• A restored Victorian military ledger offering insight into a rich regimental history of embroidery and embellishment in the British army.
• The Great British Dress embroidered by Hand & Lock and the Royal School of Needlework for Nicholas Oakwell to highlight British craftsmanship.
• 13 one-of-a-kind designer bags featuring the finest contemporary and classical H&L embroideries.
• ‘Jumbar G’ fur jumper by British designer Mary Katrantzou with jewellery inspired embroidery by H&L.
• A piece straight from Vivienne Westwood’s AW17 catwalk featuring re-purposed H&L military and ceremonial embroidery.
Tickets to the two day London Embroidery Exhibition are £5.00 each and can be bought online or over the phone; please book in advance to avoid disappointment.
Location: Bishopsgate Institute, 230 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 4QH
Date: 12th – 13th July 2017
Time: 12th July 12.00pm – 8.00pm / 13th July 10.00am – 5.30pm
The exhibition accompanies our one day conference taking place 13th July and many of our guest speakers will be elaborating on the themes, articles and objects featured in the exhibition. For more information on the conference click here.
Mr X Stitch is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic.
Meet David Morrish, winner of the Wilcom Award for Digital Embroidery, Textile Art Category, in the 2019 Hand & Lock Prize for Embroidery competition. His winning design, "Natural Order of...
Fashion Embroidery: Techniques and Inspiration for Haute Couture Clothing Embroidery by Jessica Pile Fashion Embroidery by Jessica Pile Introduction At Mr X Stitch...